New Ministry Initiatives by Deaconesses Grant Letter of Intent
You have indicated interest in submitting a letter of intent to be considered for a New Ministry Initiatives by Deaconesses grant from our Community. The Community grants funds and enters into a covenant relationship with sisters that fit the Community’s vision and values.
Deaconess Community Vision Statement
Compelled by the love of Christ and sustained by community,
the Deaconess Community of the ELCA works for
justice and flourishing for all of God’s creation.
The Deaconess Community is seeking Grant Partners who are practicing:
- A Gospel Centered Purpose that proclaims and furthers the reign of God among us (Luke 4:18)
- A Prophetic Diakonia that commits itself to risk-taking and innovative service on the frontiers of the church’s outreach (Micah 6:8; Isaiah 43:18-19)
- Cooperative Partnerships that invite participation, bridge divisions, and accompany others in mission (I Corinthians 12)
- Inclusivity in Mission that affirms the individual gifts of all people (Galatians 3:28-29)
- Stewardship that respects Gods’ gifts of time, talents, and resources (Luke 13:20;19:17)
Letters of intent may be submitted to the Deaconess Community office and the Directing Deaconess at any time.
The letter of intent is a snapshot of your proposal. In one page, please give a brief summary of your project. Remember, this is not yet a grant proposal. Basic questions to answer in your letter of intent include:
- What is the purpose of this project? What needs are being addressed?
- Whom will you serve?
- How much money will you be requesting? Is this a single year or a multi-year request? (Note: grants may be funded for up to three years. However, each year the grant will be reconsidered by the committee as part of the regular grant cycle)
- Is this an ongoing ministry or one that requires start-up assistance?
- With whom will you partner in this project?
The committee will consider letters of intent when they are submitted and contact you promptly as to whether or not you will be invited to submit a full proposal. If invited, the online grant application will be sent to you. The committee will consider the full application when it is submitted. They will then bring their recommendation to the Board of Directors for action.
Please send your letter of intent to the Directing Deaconess & Deaconess.Community@elca.org