Immanuel Hospital was opened in 1890, as was the Deaconess Home, opposite the hospital. Women from this House served in the Immanuel Orphan Asylum, Bethesda Hospital in St. Paul, MN, and others in parishes.
In 1904 the Augustana Lutheran Synod assumed direct control of Immanuel Deaconess Institute.
Omaha Motherhouse Images
Before the summer of 1884, John Lankenau’s friend and fellow hospital board member, the German Consul in Philadelphia, Charles H. Meyer, traveled to Germany to inquire about the availability of deaconesses from Kaiserwerth motherhouse and other motherhouses to staff...read more
In 1836, in Germany Pastor Theodor Fliedner and his wife Friedericke Műnster, using the story of New Testament Phoebe (Romans 16:1), the example of Mennonite deaconesses in Holland, the work of the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul and the work of Wichern...read more