The Deaconess Community is seeking a Communications Specialist. We are a community of women who are public leaders in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (ELCIC). The Communications Specialist will provide vital leadership around internal and external communications, strengthen the mission and ministry of the Community, as well as educate, empower, resource and equip members of the community and the greater church. Working in collaboration with staff and leaders, the Communications Specialist will create, administer, and oversee the communications of the community and its ministries.
Interested candidates are invited to send a resume, cover letter and 1 sample each of print, electronic and social media communication to Sister Krista Anderson (email@example.com) by Tuesday, June 7. Initial phone interviews will be conducted June 13-14, with follow up interviews soon after that. The position is expected to begin July 11.
The full job description is below:
REPORTS TO: Director of Operations
RELATES TO: Committee on Communications
HOURS: 32 hrs/wk
COMPENSATION: Salaried position plus benefits
This position involves development and coordination of the community’s communications, to strengthen the mission and ministry as well as to educate, empower, resource and equip members of the community and the greater church. Working in collaboration with staff and leaders to steward, coordinate, and create external and internal communications on behalf of the community and its ministries.
- Manages, develops, plans, designs, and maintains written and graphic content for all electronic communication, including www.deaconesscommunity.org, Community Correspondence, the community’s internal e-newsletter, Deaconess Digest, the community’s external newsletter, social media such as Facebook and Twitter, blogs, and other electronic notices as required.
- Produce community publications including print, digital, event-based, supplements, reports, and other publications as required.
- Distribute electronic/print letters, notices, and announcements.
- Works in partnership with the Leadership Team, Board of Directors, and committees to find creative ways to reach out to new audiences through online communities, blogs, and new web applications.
- Assists with planning and coordinating print and electronic communications and other visual media for the annual assembly, which might include print, video, PowerPoint, and electronic media.
- Attendance at annual Deaconess Community Assembly and some other occasional events and programs.
- Attendance at Board of Director meetings as appropriate
- Works with technology providers to understand new applications that will help enhance expand communications among the community, and trains staff in the use of new applications.
- Serves as a resource for staff and committees/task forces by providing assistance with communications concerns and questions.
- Manages, develops, plans, and distributes the Verse of the Day through social media, email, and the annual prayer calendar.
- Provides technical support to staff when necessary.
Performs other duties in keeping with the nature of this position, which will not significantly alter the job requirements as described herein.
Qualifications and Expectations:
- Communications/marketing/public relations degree or equivalent experience
- Share and support of the community’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Work readily, energetically, and effectively as a member of a team and in support of shared mission.
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with a variety of technologies (e.g., MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, web site management CMS tools, and social media tools)
- Proficiency with social media technology.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, maintain confidentiality and work independently with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability to create clear and effective communications of various forms and to effectively steward content created by others.
- Participates in a worshipping faith community
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn
- Familiarity (or quickly learned familiarity) with the theology of diakonia, and the vision and core values of the Deaconess Community
- Subject to all appropriate background checks
- This position is ideally based in Chicago at the Deaconess Community office