In its meeting in Chicago on April 6 & 7, the Mission Support Grant Committee considered requests for new and renewing mission support grants. A total of $163,945 was distributed. Nine renewing grants in the amount of $70,500 were awarded. Nine new grants in the amount of $93,445 were awarded.
Renewing Grants for 2016 – 2017
- Community Connections, Williston, ND – Community Connections seeks funding for a part time or intern social worker to provide assessments with clients seeking assistance in this community dealing with low prices in the “oil patch.” It was awarded a 2nd year’s funding in a 3-year cycle.
- Feast of Justice, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Philadelphia. PA. Its Mission-Driven Case Management seeks to direct clients to appropriate public funding sources and track clients through its guest database system. Funding is sought for bilingual counselling and training of volunteers in resource counselling methods. The ministry was awarded a 3rd year’s funding in a 3-year cycle.
- Living Water Dental Health Ministry, St. John’s Lutheran Church, Hampton, PA. This ministry provides dental care to migrant workers who have no access to this area of health care. The ministry was awarded a 3rd year’s funding in a 3-year cycle.
- Mosaic, Omaha, NE. Its Rejoicing Spirits ministry seeks to provide worship and social contact opportunities to developmentally delayed young people and their families. Funding was requested to expand this program into new territories and engage new audiences through a seminary immersion event and ELCA youth ministry.
- Rhawnhurst Turning Point, Philadelphia, PA. Rhawnhurst provides tutoring, art and music opportunities, opportunities for service and support to youth grade 6 to 12 in the city of Philadelphia. Rhawnhurst was awarded a 3rd year’s funding in a 3-year cycle.
- SPEAR Ministries, Spokane, WA. SPEAR provides summer day camp and camping at a church camp for disadvantaged children. SPEAR was awarded funding for the 3rd year in a 3-year cycle.
- St. Michael’s Lutheran Church, Philadelphia, PA for its “Sustaining One Another in Body and Spirit” Ministry. This ministry serves community meals and also fellowship and spiritual nourishment for its neighbours. Its participants are increasing in their leadership in worship circles and serving, yet the parish suffers from economic difficulties.
- The Welcome Church, Philadelphia, PA for its Welcome Table Ministry. The Welcome Church provides Gospel-centred worship and meetings with food for homeless and near-homeless residents of the streets of Philadelphia. Funding will be used to increase services to women at the Well, a place for shelter-resistant women. The Welcome Church was awarded funding for the 2nd year in a 3-year cycle.
- Empowered by Light, Lutheran Church in Liberia. Empowered by Light works with single mothers in junior and senior high school, matching them with adult female mentors and trying to provide them opportunities for education and small business opportunities. Empowered by Light was awarded funding for the 2nd year in a 3-year cycle.
New Grant Requests for 2016-2017
- Abiding Saviour Lutheran Church, El Centro Hispanos de los Todos, Ft. Lauderdale, FL. El Centro seeks to provide services to first generation Hispanic families and low income families, while encouraging them to give to serve their needs and their neighbours. El Centro requests funds to sustain and support tutoring, after-school care, summer programs.
- Bedford House, Reconciling Peterborough’s Soul, Peterborough, ON. Bedford Place seeks to engage First Nations people and other Christians (settlers) in a three phase program of education, conversation, and community actions. It seeks to implement recommendation #59 of the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. That calls for creation of constructive relationships of mutual aid between indigenous people and faith communities by learning about the past, then moving on to joint collaborations on joint actions in order to create a new future.
- Cathedral in the Night for its Peer Chaplaincy Program in Greenfield, MA. Cathedral in the Night is an outdoor Christian community expanding into Greenfield, MA. It seeks to start a peer Chaplaincy program to train its members to become leaders and to focus on the healing of people marginalized by poverty.
- Franklin Alliance for Rural Ministry (FARM), VT. FARM serves isolated migrant workers working in the dairy industry in Vermont. FARM seeks to train pastoral agents of the Latino community to serve this isolated and hidden community with the Gospel. It also seeks to train advocate allies who will defend the rights of far workers.
- Hunger Network in Ohio, Advocacy Support, Columbus, OH. The Hunger Network seeks to train and engage faith communities on hunger and justice issues, engage in advocacy at the state government and foster a network of people to advocate on hunger issues.
- Lower Lights Ministry for its Rachel’s House Project, Columbus, OH. Rachel’s House provides housing and wholistic support and mentoring for women who are re-entering the community following incarceration.
- Lutheran Settlement House, Philadelphia, PA. Lutheran Settlement House seeks funding for a trauma-informed counsellor to work with mothers and children in its shelters and nearby shelters, so that underlying traumas can be healed. LSH was awarded funding for the 1st year in a 3-year cycle in the amount of $15,000.
- New Bethlehem Project of Catholic Social Services, Seattle, WA. The New Bethlehem Project will serve homeless families during the daytime with a safe place to rest, breakfast and lunch, showers, access to washers and computers. It is lodged in the basement of Salt House, ministry of Holy Spirit Lutheran Church and Holy Family Catholic Church. New Bethlehem Project was awarded funding for the 1st year in a 3-year cycle in the amount of $10,000.
- The Apple Tree Centre for its “Where Community Meets Hope” program, Kendallville, IN. The Apple Tree Center seeks funding for tuition assistance, so children in the community can access preschool and after-school tutoring and programming.